NFA for Beginners – The Big Move

GLOCK mit suppressor (courtesy Kelly in GA for The Truth About Guns)

TTAG reader Kelly in GA writes:

I’ll just start by saying that I’m definitely a beginner at this myself.  I got my first (and only, so far) NFA item back in December. A nice paper form 4 trust for an AAC Ti-Rant 9mm. Took a whole three months and three weeks from purchase to phone call from by LGS. In even less time than that, I was moving. On up. To the east side (suburbs) of Atlanta . . .

Now, for those of you who aren’t blessed enough to live in a free state and be allowed to jump through all the NFA hoops, you may not know that they want to know EVERYTHING that you do with your tax stamped toy(s). On the back of the transfer form they attach the stamp to, there is more fine print than at the bottom of a used car dealer’s TV ads. The second item reads as such:

Change of Address:  Unless currently licensed under the Gun Control Act, the registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25401, in writing, of any change to the address in Item 2a.

So, in proper fashion, I composed a nice letter to the NFA, detailing my name, the name of my trust, my old address, my new address, and the item owned by my trust, and mailed it off.

About three weeks later, I received my letter back along with an Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act Firearms (Form 5320.20) along with a form letter explaining to me that I need their permission to move my NFA items (and listing all NFA items except silencers) before I took them in “interstate” commerce.

Nestled in the letter was their main phone number (304-616-4500) with instructions to call if I had any questions, so I did.

Lucky for me, their phone call answer time was quick, and the lady on the other end of the line was both kind and patient with me. She explained that they ask for everyone to fill out the Form 5320.20, found here, in order to hasten their paperwork process.

She also told me that they recommend filling out one of those forms “in case something happens” if I decide to take an interstate trip with my can, even though it isn’t required.

I can honestly say that they were by far the easiest entity to deal with during the whole move process. (Comcast, I’m looking at you, a week and a half to turn the power on to the box on the side of my house, and failing TWICE to schedule an appointment after I called to make one).

So, for anyone who has to move soon, I hope this helps.

NOTE:  This article was written as a chronicle to one person’s experience moving, and is in no way, shape, or form to be taken as legal advice.  I AM NOT A LAWYER, and I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Deja un comentario